Man dead in apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at Wasilla residence, troopers say

PALMER — A 50-year-old man died earlier this week of what Alaska State Troopers said appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in the Wasilla area.

Troopers said they responded to reports of an unresponsive man, later identified as Chad Grasmick, with possible carbon monoxide exposure just before 8 p.m. Wednesday. When troopers arrived, fire and EMS crews were already at the scene attempting CPR.

Firefighters with West Lakes Fire Department and Matanuska-Susitna Borough EMS crews responded, according to borough emergency services director Ken Barkley. There has been no official confirmation that the death was due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Crews discovered dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide inside the home, troopers say. Responders found a gas generator and propane heater running in a small attic living area without ventilation.

The State Medical Examiner Office will conduct an autopsy.