Anchorage’s Solid Waste Services director resigns

Anchorage’s director of Solid Waste Services, Dan Zipay, resigned Thursday, according to the mayor’s office.

Mayor Dave Bronson gave no reason for Zipay’s departure in a statement late Thursday afternoon, and did not comment on his tenure. The mayor’s office did not immediately respond to questions about why Zipay is abruptly leaving the position, and Zipay could not immediately be reached for comment.

Bronson has selected longtime Solid Waste Services staff member Evalu Filitaula as acting director, effective immediately, according to the mayor’s office.

“Mr. Filitaula has been with SWS since 2005, and most recently worked as the General Foreman for the utility. The search for a permanent director will begin immediately,” the mayor’s office said.

The announcement came the day after Bronson’s office suddenly announced the resignation of Adam Trombley, who had been chief of staff to the mayor. Tuesday was Trombley’s last day on the job.

Bronson appointed Zipay in August 2021 to replace Solid Waste Services’ previous director, Mark Spafford. Zipay oversaw the city’s garbage collection, disposal, landfill, recycling and composting and other services.

Zipay owns Anchorage commercial trucking company Alaska Pro Truck and is the founder and former president and CEO of Alaska Waste, an Anchorage-based waste collection company, which he sold in 2009, according to the mayor’s office.


At the time of his appointment, state records showed Zipay and Roberta Zipay as 25% shareholders in a local, private waste service, Denali Disposal, according to state records. State records also showed Bernadette Wilson — a former volunteer campaign co-chair for Bronson and Zipay’s daughter — holding the other 75% in Denali Disposal.

At the time, the mayor’s office said Zipay had become a silent partner in Denali Disposal in 2017. The mayor’s office also said that Zipay was not involved in operations or decision-making, and that he was in the process of relinquishing his ownership stake and would no longer serve as a corporate officer for the company. Zipay is no longer listed as a shareholder.

Zipay’s resignation is yet another in a string of resignations and firings of Bronson’s top executives. Multiple executive jobs are unfilled, while some departments are being led by acting directors. Bronson’s administration has seen upheaval amid a series of controversies.

Most notably, Bronson in December fired former city manager Amy Demboski. Later, in a scathing letter, Demboski accused Bronson and members of his administration of unethical behavior, misconduct and fostering a hostile work environment, among other allegations.

Since Demboski’s firing, former acting municipal attorney Blair Christensen has also resigned, former deputy chief of staff Brice Wilbanks abruptly resigned, and the city’s Human Resources director, Niki Tshibaka, resigned.

Clarification: This article has been updated to clarify Bernadette Wilson’s role in the Bronson campaign. She was a volunteer co-chair.

• • •

Emily Goodykoontz

Emily Goodykoontz is a reporter covering Anchorage local government and general assignments. She previously covered breaking news at The Oregonian in Portland before joining ADN in 2020. Contact her at