Skip to main Content
Alaska News

Interior Alaska man dies in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Author: Tegan Hanlon
  • Updated: October 4, 2017
  • Published October 4, 2017

A 49-year-old Interior Alaska man died Tuesday. The cause is suspected to be carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday, the Fairbanks Police Department got a report that someone found Christopher Alexander in his home, and he wasn't breathing, troopers said.

Megan Peters, troopers spokeswoman, said Alexander lived in a single-family, one-story home on Thoreau Drive, off Chena Hot Springs Road. The home was under construction, she said.

Troopers said "carbon monoxide was detected in the residence." Peters said she did not have information Wednesday on the levels of carbon monoxide found in the home.

Troopers believe the carbon monoxide came from a gas generator, she said.

The generator was situated in the doorway of a "mechanical room," she said.

A trooper who responded to Alexander's house did not notice a carbon monoxide detector in the home, Peters said.

Medics who responded early Tuesday could not revive Alexander, troopers said.

Alexander's family was notified and his body was sent to the State Medical Examiner Office for an autopsy, troopers said.

Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas, has killed others in Alaska this year.

A 10-year-old boy died in August from carbon monoxide poisoning at a cabin near Big Lake. A propane-powered refrigerator had malfunctioned, investigators found. In February, a teenager in South Anchorage died from carbon monoxide that came from a heating system boiler in the garage.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention list the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning as headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.

Local news matters.

Support independent, local journalism in Alaska.

Comments