The southbound Glenn Highway has reopened after it was shut down Friday evening to allow rush-hour traffic to proceed north from Anchorage past earthquake-damaged sections of road, authorities say.
An updated alert from Anchorage police said the highway had reopened to traffic in both directions as of 9 p.m. Friday. The closure took effect at 5 p.m.
Traffic is being rerouting through medians and emergency passes and onto the Old Glenn Highway.
The temporary closure allowed commuters to get out of Anchorage and ease rush-hour congestion, said Anchorage police spokesman MJ Thim.
Here’s the APD list of major road closures and delays:
• Glenn Highway: Tractor-trailers and semi-tractor trailers with doubles headed toward Anchorage will be stopped before Mirror Lake.
• Eagle River Bridge at Glenn Highway: Closed, follow detours.
• Minnesota Boulevard at International Airport Road: Southbound off-ramp is closed.
• Mirror Lake exit off Glenn Highway: Southbound off-ramp is closed.
• Dimond Boulevard at Minnesota Drive: Closed.
• Knik River Bridge: Periodic closures, follow detours.
• Dowling Road at C Street: Detours due to at large crack in the roadway.
• Eagle River Loop Road at Mills Bay Drive: Detours due to sinkhole.
• Glenn Highway at the Palmer interchange exit: Northbound closed.
• 36th Avenue at the Seward Highway: One lane, follow detours.
7.0 earthquake, aftershocks strike Southcentral Alaska; damage reported across region
Utilities will work through night to fix widespread gas leaks and outages after 7.0 earthquake
Inspections underway across Southcentral Alaska for structural damage after earthquake, aftershocks
At 8:29 Friday morning, everyone emerged from Alaska’s big earthquake with a story to tell
State seismologist: 'Emotionally disturbing' quake was Anchorage's most powerful since 1964
Federal disaster declared for Southcentral earthquake
‘I have nowhere to go': Those displaced by earthquake bide time at Anchorage emergency shelter
Here’s how you can help those still reeling from the earthquake
Earthquake rattles shelves and shatters products at Anchorage businesses
APD: Southbound Glenn Highway temporarily closed to allow rush-hour traffic north out of Anchorage
Injuries, road damage and gas leaks reported in Mat-Su after 7.0 earthquake
Wasilla water safe to drink, Anchorage residents asked to boil as a precaution
Photos: Earthquake damage from the air
Anchorage schools, many Mat-Su schools to be closed Monday and Tuesday
Spokespersons for Walker and Dunleavy were on opposite sides of the table. Once the earthquake hit, they found themselves under it.
Photos: Ground-level views of the earthquake damage
Anchorage airport open again for arrivals after landings were halted due to earthquake
Tsunami warning canceled for Kenai Peninsula communities
Do you smell gas or hear hissing? Here’s how to shut off your gas after an earthquake
Oil and gas industry reports precautionary shutdowns, little earthquake damage
Earthquake information from public agencies, utilities and news staff
List of closures: Schools and services affected by Friday’s earthquake
State volleyball at Dimond on hold after earthquake; Alaska Airlines Center gym floor flooded
President Trump tweets encouragement to Alaska after earthquake