The southbound Glenn Highway has reopened after it was shut down Friday evening to allow rush-hour traffic to proceed north from Anchorage past earthquake-damaged sections of road, authorities say.
An updated alert from Anchorage police said the highway had reopened to traffic in both directions as of 9 p.m. Friday. The closure took effect at 5 p.m.
Traffic is being rerouting through medians and emergency passes and onto the Old Glenn Highway.
The temporary closure allowed commuters to get out of Anchorage and ease rush-hour congestion, said Anchorage police spokesman MJ Thim.
Here’s the APD list of major road closures and delays:
• Glenn Highway: Tractor-trailers and semi-tractor trailers with doubles headed toward Anchorage will be stopped before Mirror Lake.
• Eagle River Bridge at Glenn Highway: Closed, follow detours.
• Minnesota Boulevard at International Airport Road: Southbound off-ramp is closed.
• Mirror Lake exit off Glenn Highway: Southbound off-ramp is closed.
• Dimond Boulevard at Minnesota Drive: Closed.
• Knik River Bridge: Periodic closures, follow detours.
• Dowling Road at C Street: Detours due to at large crack in the roadway.
• Eagle River Loop Road at Mills Bay Drive: Detours due to sinkhole.
• Glenn Highway at the Palmer interchange exit: Northbound closed.
• 36th Avenue at the Seward Highway: One lane, follow detours.